Monday, December 27, 2010

Gingerbread Men!

This cookie has been one on my "to do list" for quite a while and this holiday season I was bound and determined to make these gingerbread men!
I would like to say that I searched for the perfect gingerbread men cookie recipe but I didn't...It is definitely no fancy recipe because I just ripped this McCormick Ginger advertisement right out of my parenting magazine. I told Jonas that I was going to make it a tradition to make these cookies at least once a year during the holiday season. I thought these little guys turned out yummy and so I thought I would share the recipe with you.

What you will need:
3 cups flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter softened
3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
MIX flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla, beat well. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients mixture on low speed of course. ( You don't want a big powdery mess) :) Press dough into a think flat disk shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours of over night.
ROLL out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on lightly floured work surface or a Silpat ( which I finally got for Christmas :) -Hallelujah!) Cut gingerbread men shapes and gingerbread girl shapes for that matter.
BAKE in preheated oven of 350 degrees F. It says to cook for 8-10 minutes, I cooked them about 9 minutes and they turned out pretty soft. Cool on baking sheet and when cooled off frost and decorate how you would like your gingerbread men to look. This recipe makes about 2 dozen.

For the frosting I used the same Cream Cheese frosting recipe Meg uses for her pumpkin cookies.
4 0z cream cheese
1/2 cube of butter
1 pound powered sugar

Decorating these little men was pretty fun! I used red hots for the buttons. They turned out cute but lets be honest-when you are going for cute gingerbread men, there just isn't enough frosting! These are what the gingerbread men look like that stayed at our house for us to gobble down! :)

2 comments:

Pam said...

Those look yummy! Your gingerbread men look like they came straight from the bakery! But I have to admit that I would also choose to consume the mega-frosted cookies!

Nicole said...

That is a ton of work Brooke! They look adorable!