Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Strawberry Lemon Muffins

Dad is in St. George so there was no reason to fix dinner last night, plenty of leftover cookies, candy and other "health" food laying around to be consumed instead of an actual meal. I had a container of beautiful strawberries that needed to be consumed. You would think that I could just enjoy a nice bowl of them in their natural state...but no...I decided to coat them in a lemon muffin batter and glaze them with lemony goodness after baking them in my muffin topper pans. Oh my, they were so delicious! I suggest you all run to Sam's Club and purchase a container of strawberries to consume in lemony muffin goodness too! (I did enjoy more than my share of fresh strawberries while I was waiting for the muffins to bake just soes you know!)

This is a recipe that I found while spending some "quality" time on pinterest. It is from jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com. She has many other delicious looking creations that we will have to try and then decide if she deserves a spot on our blogroll. Here's to happy baking!

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. lemon juice)
2/3 cup canola oil (any vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon milk
dash salt
(I did add lemon zest to the glaze too)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Into a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Lightly stir with a fork. Scrape the zest off of your lovely lemon, and add it to the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.

Hull and chop your strawberries and add them to the dry ingredients, tossing to coat.
Juice your lemon. Pour the juice into a medium sized bowl with the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Whisk it all around to incorporate.

Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir with a fork just until combined. It will be a little lumpy but just stir it until the flour is moistened and combined or you will have tough muffins.

Line your muffin pan with paper holders (makes about 17 according to Jamie) and spray lightly with cooking spray. Spoon the batter into the pans. These muffins don't rise up a lot, so don't be afraid to fill them almost full. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan and then transfer to a cooling rack.

For the glaze whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth and drizzle over the warm muffins. Eat! (Jamie says they are even better the second day so I will eat another in the name of science and then let you know if that is even possible!)


No comments: