I have been looking at recipes that could be made ahead and reheated for our upcoming ward youth conference better known as TreK2. I was trying to find something that might be considered authentic to the time period and figured since half of San Pete County was settled by Scandinavians this might be something that would have been served in our great or great-great grandmother's kitchens. If not, it is tasty and delicious so we have not suffered in the attempt. I will add however, that it will probably not be served on TreK2 since I think it is just unusual enough to make it too "weird" for the picky eaters. So we will probably serve hamburgers and hot dogs and call it good. Oh well, their loss.
If you happen to get to Ikea before you decide to serve this to your family, I highly recommend buying a jar of Lingonberry Jam to serve on the side, it is just the right compliment to the meatballs, gravy and mashed potatoes. If not, I would substitute whole cranberry sauce or something since there is just something about the sweet/savory combination that just works. I was lazy and served this with instant mashed potatoes, courtesy of Ax and Rach, and I have to say that they were tasty and delicious and did not detract from the overall enjoyment of this meal. I'm not saying that homemade mashed potatoes could have added to the enjoyment I'm just saying sometimes it is better to take the easy road and who will even care! Especially since it eliminated the extra pan etc. required for mashed potatoes. Oh and if you can find a Swedish flag while you are at Ikea go ahead and pick some up to make your instant mashed potatoes seem so much more festive! (They could also be served over noodles but then where would you stick the flag? @Jonas.)
Straight from damndelicious.net however I did not follow her directions exactly. I baked the meatballs at 375 degrees on a foil lined sheet pan for 12-15 minutes. No turning and grease splattering. They aren't perfectly round or browned like pan frying but who cares? I bake all meatballs, I'm a rebel like that! This dinner was probably ready in 30-45 minutes but if you made and baked the meatballs in advance and froze them, you could eat dinner in less than 20 minutes. Make the gravy while you heat the meatballs in the microwave and make your instant potatoes. Bam! Dinner on the table.)
Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork (not pork sausage, just ground pork, no seasonings)
- 1/2 cup Panko*
- 2 large egg yolks (I used one whole egg)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice(seems weird but don't skip the spices they are subtle)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste(alpine touch)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (I used the grease from the baked meatballs and some butter)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth (I used water and beef base because that's what I had or buy the cans)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (didn't bother since it was just Dad and I)
For the gravy
Instructions
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, Panko, egg yolks, allspice, nutmeg and onion; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Roll the mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs, forming about 24 meatballs.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add meatballs, in batches, and cook until all sides are browned, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To make the gravy, melt butter in the skillet. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in beef broth and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in sour cream; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in meatballs and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired. (whatever)
P.P.S. When Papa takes Madi for her birthday she chooses Red Lobster....but ChickFilA when her Dad is buying....hmmm....this girl knows how to work the system!
P.P.S.S. Why do I always feel compelled to add a P.S. to the bottom of all of my posts?

No comments:
Post a Comment