Sunday, June 15, 2014

Russian Creme

I was asked to bring a nice dessert to a combined Relief Society/Young Women service project activity last night. They wanted something more special than cookies. I knew there would be plenty of chocolate options so I decided to bring cream. Russian Creme. I haven't made these since Nicole and Jesse's reception so the recipe had also been purged in the great hoarder's 12 step program (if you don't know what I am talking about it is explained in more detail in my blog post for Easter bunny rolls.) So again, I went to the trusty internet and found the recipe on theallisonshow.com where she calls it the "best dessert recipe ever: russian cream". Who am I to argue? I topped my dessert with fresh raspberries, strawberries and toasted sliced almonds. This is no low-calorie dessert, but then you would be hard pressed to find one of those on this blog anyway! So when you need to bring a dessert that is so simple it is almost stupid, but looks impressive and is out of the ordinary go ahead and make this. It is pretty and delicious.

INGREDIENTS
4 Cups Cream
2 Cups Sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon unflavored Knox gelatin (2 pkg.)
2 Cups Sour Cream
1 Tablespoon Vanilla

TOPPING
Any fruit of your choice

DIRECTIONS:
In a large sauce pan mix gelatin with the sugar. Then, pour the cream into the pan and stir to dissolve sugar. Continue stirring your cream over medium heat until it is hot to touch, but not boiling. Then cool your mixture. I put mine in the freezer for 20 minutes or so to speed things up. Once it’s warm or room temp, whisk in the sour cream and vanilla.
Pour the fabulous mixture into whatever you want to serve it out of, individual cups or pretty mold, leaving 1/2″ at the top for your topping, and then chill the cream at least 4 hours or overnight. The larger the container, the longer it will take to set up. Your cream should thicken to a consistency so if you were to hold it upside down, nothing would drip out.

Top with fresh fruit of your choice and enjoy.

No comments: