Saturday, May 21, 2016

Lemon Jello Cake

While trying to decide what to make for dessert for
Sunday dinner that would not be a total calorie bomb I thought about Grandma Welch's
Lemon Jello Cake. Lemon seems like a light option right? Never mind that the recipe
uses eggs and oil and jello (which is total sugar but whatever) and then you make a glaze
with lemon juice and powdered sugar...lots of powdered sugar. I'm calling it light because
no butter is involved and it's delicious served with fresh strawberries and whipped cream
which is totally fattening, but still there's no butter involved so work with me people!

So, when I went to find the recipe on our blog, it was nowhere to be found! And when
I went to find a lemon cake mix, it was also nowhere to be found so there will be no
Lemon Jello Cake tomorrow for Sunday dinner. But at least when I pick up a lemon
cake mix I will know where to find the recipe...Thankfully Oh Sweet Basil uses
Grandma Welch's exact recipe, so at least it's not a total fail.

Lemon Jello Cake
Author: 
Recipe type: dessert
Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Serves: 12-16 servings
Delicious lemon jello cake
Ingredients
Cake
  • 1 lemon cake mix
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1⅓ cup water
  • ⅔ cup oil
  • 1 regular package lemon jello (small box-3 oz)
Icing
  • Juice of 2 Lemons
  • 1½ cup powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cake pan with nonstick spray and sprinkle with flour. Tip and tap the edges of the cake pan to coat it with flour. (I just spray it with Pam)
  2. In the bowl of a mixer, mix the cake mix, eggs, water, oil and jello together. for 5 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan.
  3. Bake at 350* for 27-30 minutes. When cake is done, prick with 2 tined fork (meaning a meat carving fork or just use a regular fork, whatever)  while still hot. Immediately pour lemon icing over top.
Icing
  1. In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth.

No comments: