Friday, July 23, 2010

Failure #2




I am 134.6% sure that the Sweet Tooth Fairy does NOT use evaporated milk in her vanilla frosting.... OK OK OK, so had I called anyone else in the fam prior to making this mistake you all would have said the same thing. Probably a big DUH! But how was I supposed to know without trying?? I thought maybe mom and I had made some headway last week, but it turned out the next day that the imitation STF frosting had the most horrid after-taste. Not even close to the pleasure that any item frosted in her delish-ous-ness provides for my palate. Anyway, I will name this recipe "Failure #2" because I wouldn't recommend that anyone, anywhere try it. I just wanted you guys to know that I am devoted to finding out exactly how she makes that stuff. My box vanilla cupcakes need to be rotated.... I'll be right back.

I now only have 7 of my 10 typing fingers, so forgive me for any errors... it turns out that paper towels are not a good barrier of heat... Time to splurge on a hot pad or two. For reals though. Don't try this recipe... and DO NOT try rotating anything in the oven using paper towels.

Let me explain myself: I spent about two hours surfing the internet for a buttercream frosting recipe that didn't have powdered sugar because I am convinced (not so convinced anymore) that STF doesn't use powdered sugar... Axle just started a book yesterday and since that is his new love affair I have to find other things to occupy my time. Anyway, I keep getting distracted! I decided that I would give this recipe that I found on some random website.


BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. Crisco
1/2 c. butter
2 egg whites
1/2 c. Pet milk**
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites until stiff. Add remaining ingredients and beat until sugar is dissolved.

**Google pet milk, that's how I found out what it is... I thought for a minute that I was going to have to go next door and milk the neighbor's dog.

Off to Walmart I went to get the necessary items for my sure to be match. Upon mixing these ingredients based upon the given recipe I soon found that no matter how long I mixed it, it continued to look like chopped up cottage cheese.. it was the strangest thing... so I added more sugar, I can't give you an amount on that because I don't really know... after testing it all I could taste was the "pet milk" so I added another 1/4 of a cube of butter and a little more sugar and then the extracts... It turned smooth at that point, but when Axle tasted it he was not a fan. He said "It tastes like butter with some sugar mixed in." Which... I'd have to agree with.

Anyway, I think I have the correct extracts for the STF frosting... those being coconut and almond and of course vanilla. So I added oh....... maybe some teaspoons.

So since reading this was all just a big waste of time... I'll let you go. It's time to try to pull out the cupcakes that are about to be frosted with "Failure #2". I think I'll try to deliver some to my home teachers... maybe that will teach them to leave me be.

Oh and P.S. I'd pay $11.99 for the Sweet Tooth Fairy to make me a cupcake right now.

YES! I do realize that my frosting skills are out of this world. Axle exclaimed that they look like "albino turds!" Exactly what I was aiming for. I'll add these photos to my portfolio and send them with my resume to be on Ace of Cakes.

4 comments:

BRooKe said...

I loved this! It seems as if both of us are attempting to bake and frost things! :) I think it might be a great idea for you to invest in some oven mittens! They are so stylish and will keep your little fingers safe! :) Thanks for sharing!

Nicole said...

I totally appreciate the 0 flares post. What if I had decided to attempt this recipe? Thanks for saving me the heartache and for giving me a good laugh!

Pam said...

I think I peed my pants while I was reading this! Hysterical! Especially Axle's descriptive comment. You might want to inform him that Welch girls have very good memories and have been known to hold a grudge for lesser offenses than that....just sayin'.

Meghan said...

I realize that I'm a little late here, but I just busted up reading this! Nothing ticks me off more than spending time and effort making something and having it bomb!! My solution to this problem is for one of us to get hired on undercover at STF and steal all her recipes!! (This may not work as I'm afraid we spend enough time and money there that we may be spotted immediately!)