Monday, February 22, 2010

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Bread

I will try to contain my enthusiasm for this recipe and not bore you with an overlong post. Apparently I am unable to just post a recipe. I feel compelled to entertain (or bore you) with my innermost thoughts regarding each and every recipe. It would seem that the statement "simple things for simple minds" is absolutely true! Food appears to be always on my mind! I am a self-professed addict, it just so happens that my addiction is completely legal and there is nothing you can do to stop me! So don't be annoyed, just go ahead and bake this bread, it is simple (like me) and extremely delicious! Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup +6 tbsp. boiling water
1 cup rolled oats (oatmeal)
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp. instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup instant powdered milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses or honey

Combine boiling water and oatmeal in large mixing bowl. Allow to cool about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rest of the ingredients holding back 3/4 cup of the flour and beat using dough hooks until smooth. Add additional flour until dough is smooth and elastic and no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. Knead for 5 minutes with dough hooks. Put dough in greased bowl and cover. Set aside for about one hour. Punch down the dough and shape into large round loaf. Put on greased baking pan and allow to rise again until doubled in size, about 45-60 more minutes. Slash the top two times with a very sharp knife, (just quickly pull the knife across the dough to make a shallow cut, this will help keep the loaf nicely shaped, but if it scares you, just skip it!) and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Check the bread after 30 minutes and if it seems to be getting too dark just cover lightly with a piece of foil and continue baking until it is done. It will be nicely browned and sound hollow when you thump the bottom of the loaf. (again with the technical instructions!) Put the baked bread on a clean dish towel and brush the top with butter. Allow the bread to cool for at least 15 minutes before you attempt to cut it (that means you Jonas). Slather with butter and honey or jelly and try to leave some for someone else!

P.S. I posted the recipe as written by King Arthur Flour but of course I had to make a few adjustments. First of all I didn't have any powdered milk, so I just used half water and half milk and heated it in the microwave and then added the oatmeal. I also have no idea if I have instant yeast, so I just used whatever I have. I did use molasses and the bread was a beautiful caramel color, I have always used honey in the past. This was a very moist and delicious loaf of bread.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I made your bread sticks again tonight and they turned out beautifully! Believe it or not, I might be ready to attempt this bread! I'm moving on up!

Nicole said...

I did it! I successfully made this bread! I even took it to a neighbor! I'm attempting it again today! If I can do it twice in a row, then anyone can!