Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Denver Biscuits

I have never bought frozen biscuits--so I don't know if these are as good or better. I love the convnience of being able to pull 3 of these out of the freezer and bake. I buy a lot more pre-made items than I have ever done before. When we had all our little kids we couldn't afford to buy convenience foods. One day I was talking to a neighbor about something I had made and she said I probably made homemade noodles, too. I confessed that I did, you have to admit they are way better than the packaged ones, right? Another confession--you all bad mouth powdered milk but I will tell you I use it in cooking all the time. You don't need to scald milk, you just use hot water and add the powder with the flour, it works, so there. Pam I tried to comment on your drivel with exclamations points, but I evidently pushed the wrong button because it wouldn't take it, sooo
I want you to know I read it!!!!

1 quart milk, scalded 6 1/2 c. flour
1 c. shortening 1 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar 1 tsp. soda
3 pkgs. yeast or 3 tbsp. 2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 c. warm water
Add shortening to hot milk. Dissolve yeast in warm water. When milk has cooled to lukewarm, add sugar, dissolved yeast and enough flour to make a batter about the consistency of pancake batter. Let rise for 2 hours, then add salt, soda and baking powder and enough flour to make your dough. Roll out about 3/4 inch thick on a floured board and cut with a biscuit cutter. Put on wax paper and freeze. When frozen put in plastic bags and take out enough for each meal as you need them. When ready to use, bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Do not thaw first.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

This blog is not only informative it's therapeutic too! Tasty recipes, hilarious commentary, and confessions! (Yes you can start singing Usher in your head right now.) Who knew starting a recipe blog would be life changing!

Pam said...

Just to be clear, I did not bad mouth the use of powdered milk. I was bad-mouthing the use of powdered milk and attempting to pass it off as fresh milk! That can mess with a kid's psyche, just sayin'.)