Monday, January 24, 2011

Sticky Chex Mix

This is another recipe request for the RS Cookbook. Funny, I thought everyone already had this recipe, but just in case I will post it here for all past and future generations who may have missed it. It is also another Lake Powell requested recipe. In fact Dave and I went down to Lake Powell a day later than some of the other couples this past year and Tiffany Ashman called her mother (who was staying with her children) and asked her to call us to make sure we were bringing down some Chex mix. Apparently the cell phone service at Lake Powell was not crystal clear and her mother thought she asked her to call us to bring down the SEX MIX, there was a moment of silence on the other end of the phone until Tiffany repeated herself and her mother was relieved to hear the request for CHEX MIX. I'm sure she wondered what kind of boating trip this was turning into! (I don't think I will share this little tidbit with the RS though,we will just keep it within the family and the Lake Powell group;)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
Combine in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Pour over
1 large box Chex cereal (corn or rice or Crispix)
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional for some people)
1 cup coconut (again, optional)
Stir until well combined and everything is coated in the syrupy goodness. Resist the urge to taste it while it is piping hot or you will not be able to taste anything else for quite some time. Allow to cool if you have that kind of self-control. Be warned that once you take your first bite, you will continue until the entire batch is gone and all you have to show for it is sticky fingers and a bloated belly. I speak from experience.

3 comments:

BRooKe said...

I love this stuff! It is definitely blog posting worthy! It is amazing how addicting it is once you start eating...that is only if it does NOT have nuts in it! :)

Nicole said...

I LOVE sex mix! Have for years!

Pam said...

I used one 12 ounce box of Chex cereal which was about 10 cups of cereal.