I have mixed feelings about this recipe. When I make it successfully it is awesome. But when things go wrong, they go very, very wrong. I have yet to figure out what happens. Perhaps you can make it and tell me what you did to guarantee success. Ann makes toffee and never seems to have trouble. Maybe I will just let her be the toffee maker in the family. I will post the recipe which I originally received from Cindy Roylance and also Ann's slight differences so that you can try one or both of them for yourselves. Then please invite me over for a sampling. Thanks.
Before you start, butter a large piece of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet. If desired add a cup of chopped nuts on the foil and set aside.
In a heavy saucepan melt
2 cubes butter
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. water (Ann's recipe calls for 1 Tbsp. water and 3 Tbsp. Karo syrup)
Bring to a boil and cook stirring constantly until it starts to foam and turns a light caramel color, similar to a paper bag and seems to be thinning. Pour immediately onto the foil pan and allow to cool. While the toffee is very warm but not too hot, sprinkle chocolate chips on the top, allow to soften and then spread over the top of the candy. Sprinkle with more nuts pressing lightly into the melted chocolate if you like. Let it sit overnight and then break into pieces and store in an air tight container. Good luck.


1 comment:
Grandma Archibald,s recipe is the same as Ann,s. I have been using it for 53 years with success. The only difference is in the cooking directions--cook to the crack stage (drop a bit of candy in cold water, it is done when it becomes very hard. I break two chocolate candy bars and put on top, when melted smooth over candy.
Post a Comment